Useful Links – Investing in HMO Buy to lets

Here are some useful links to check out and research when looking at Investing in HMO buy to let property for Student Accommodation in Sunderland.

Sunderland Council Tax Rates

Rates unchanged for third year

Council Tax Valuation Banda based on April 1991 properety values

Council Tax Exemptions – changes which apply from 1st April 2013.

Council Tax – Unoccupied properties


Class C4 houses in multiple occupation

Licence – homes in multiple occupancy

Selective Licensing Scheme – Hendon area

The selective licensing Scheme has been set up to improve living conditions for private sector tenants and the wider community in the Hendon area.  Any landlord operating without a licence is committing an offence and may be liable to a fine on conviction of up to £20,000.

EPC LegislationEnergy Performance Certificates

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are needed whenever a property is:

  • built
  • sold
  • rented

If you’re selling or renting your home, you must order an EPC for potential buyers and tenants before you market your property.


HM Revenue & Customs HMRC Non resident landlord scheme

The Non-Resident Landlords (NRL) Scheme is a scheme for taxing the UK rental income of non-resident landlords.

The scheme requires UK letting agents to deduct basic rate tax from any rent they collect for non-resident landlords. If non-resident landlords don’t have UK letting agents acting for them, and the rent is more than £100 a week, their tenants must deduct the tax. When working out the amount to tax the letting agent/tenant can take off deductible expenses.

Letting agents and/or tenants don’t have to deduct tax if HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) tells them not to HMRC will tell an agent/tenant not to deduct tax if non-resident landlords have successfully applied for approval to receive rents with no tax deducted. But even though the rent may be paid with no tax deducted, it remains liable to UK tax. So non-resident landlords must include it in any tax return HMRC sends them.

Landlords Data Protection FAQ








Loraine Marshall: Business owner & manager student accommodation and property management.

Posted in Advice Tagged with: , , , , ,

Need to translate to another language

Related ebooks